Wednesday 22 May 2013


EXAMPLES OF MY MOST RECENT ART

BEGINNING WITH FOUR COLOUR DRAWINGS

(All from my sick-bed, winter 2012/2013) 




Monolith, usually a single massive rock or stone, but here it takes on a lighter, transformational aspect.



Tri-Pod, comes next, also resembling a piece of sculpture, but with a slightly humorous, light-hearted feel.



With Cock-a-Doodle --- well, it's left to the viewer to to decide, but it's title suggests a jokey take on a Doodle.



Finally, Lark Ascending; my favourite, depicting, I feel, the joy of a bird in soaring flight, captured in seconds in one stroke of the pen. A dash of blue sky; a touch of green grass.



And now I'd like to add:-----

Another group of 4. These were actually the first drawings I made while sick in bed. At the time the illness was affecting my brain, and for several weeks I had been having horrific dreams and was hallucinating. It came to me that it might be a good idea if I got all this horror out of my system, using my artistic abilities, but in a completely new way. I would suspend my mind; I would simply take a sheet of paper and a strong, thick pencil, pen or charcoal and allow, allow; allow all that was in me to emerge freely, instantly, without time for thought to creep in.

I had been haunted by a strange series of figures coming in through the door to my bed-room, and on one occasion dropping in from a trap-door in the roof. This was one of these drawing which emerged, titled after a school-cild's verse; Yesterday upon the stair, I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today: I wish to Hell he'd go away.



MAN WHO WASN'T THERE

This second such drawing I have given the title;  NEW ENERGY.

I could explain this title at length -- or just leave it to explain itself.



The Third in this group arose from a story, BLACKBIRD SINGING in my Dreaming Worlds Awake book. The subject was in my mind before I took up my drawing implement, but the resultant image was spontaneous and beyond-the-mind.


BIRD IN A BUSH

Lastly; it just happened; it just came. A spontaneous image.  HERMAPHRODITE.


A FURTHER GROUP OF FOUR STARTING WITH:---



Portrait with Charcoal Hair. These drawings emerged after the episode where I had been hallucinating; they illustrate a completely new approach to Art, which culminated in the colour drawings which I placed above the pencil/charcoal drawings. Spontaneous, non-thought out, in some cases a single line which captures in a stroke, in less than a second, a form emerging in space.

 Emerging Form 1



Emerging Form 2


And finally I leave a space for the last of this group, titled, Stellaris.
which unfortunately has escaped for the moment!




AND, Finally, FINALLY! The last; a group of three, beginning with:---

 This is First Movement.
 This is Second Movement

And this is Third Movement.

No comments: